During the summer months, fresh berries of any kind are some of my favorite staples to keep in my kitchen. Berries are sweet, convenient and healthy goodies to keep around when they are in season.
Through the years, I've made plenty of other blueberry-showcasing desserts and breakfast breads, but before this past Wednesday, never a blueberry pie. I have long-admired the pretty pictures of this fruity treat posted in magazines and I sure liked the idea of the dessert, however I had just never gotten organized enough to bake one. I'm so glad I finally did, it was really sweet, flavorful and so simple to make. You should try it too.
July is National July Belongs to Blueberries Month... I plan to celebrate many times. Will you?
Classic Blueberry Pie
- 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed blueberries)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pastry for a double 9-inch deep dish pie crust (frozen crusts work just fine if you are crunched for time, as I usually am....although I do make my own pastry as often as possible. Really, I do.)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter
2. In a colander rinse blueberries and drain well, transfer berries to a large mixing bowl.
3. Sprinkle berries with the lemon juice and set aside.
4. Place prepared bottom pastry or pie crust in oven and allow to bake for about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
5. Add next 4 ingredients to the bowl of blueberries and carefully mix well
6. Pour the prepared blueberries into the lightly pre-baked pie shell.
7. Place pats of butter on top of the berry mixture.
8. Cover pie filling with the other pastry and seal.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
|Allow pie to cool completely before slicing, otherwise it will be really, really runny|