Okay, so I'm a little late to the party when it comes to blogging about mug cakes. But, I seriously just tried my hand at one for the first time this past weekend. It was such a fun dessert to make and my kids just found this whole cake-in-a-mug concept very exciting!
The cake in the cover photo is the second one I made and maybe you can see that the edges have been picked at? The two-year-old was in an absolute, shark-like frenzy while this cake was cooling off on a rack. Apparently, she managed to pick small pieces from the sides when I would turn away. She's a little chocolate-crazed ninja, I tell ya!
Also, please notice the two spoons in this picture. You'll need both of them and a large mug, like one for tea. This cake bakes up quite large and it is a perfect dessert for two...or maybe even three!
I'll be trying out some different flavors of mug cakes in the near future. We all quickly became big fans of this fun fad!
Two-Minute Nutella Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1//4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
1. Combine the first five dry ingredients in a large mug, mix well and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients: egg, milk, extract, oil and Nutella. Stir well and add to the mug. Using a spoon, mix the batter until just combined, mashing any noticeable large lumps.
2. Place mug in a microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes. The cake will rise well over the top of the mug.
3. Allow it to cool for about 15 - 20 minutes before serving. Add some whipped cream and chocolate syrup for an easy topping and enjoy!