Some days it's just necessary to take it easy.
Yesterday was one of those days for me. And I knew I wanted soup. Or stew. Or chowder. Ya know, some kind of dish in the "soup" neighborhood.
Yesterday's mood was tired with a large side order of lazy.
Yes, the downside to wanting any of those dishes was that, under no circumstances, was I interested in a bunch of effort to make any of them. I was game for a little bit of effort, but definitely not a whole, big bunch of it.
It's been quite a busy week around here and I'm so ready for no alarm clock this weekend. (oh wait, we have soccer playing children. Nevermind...)
- 5 pieces of bacon, fried crisp and chopped into bits
- 2 tablespoon of reserved bacon drippings or another cooking oil
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion,finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) cream-style corn
- 1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup of fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, coarsely chopped or 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (or 1/2 cup milk)